Are you a hearing church who wants to better serve your Deaf church members? Below are eight ways you can support your Deaf church members as a church.
- Encourage members of the clergy to learn sign language.
- Provide opportunities for Deaf people to worship and learn in an atmosphere in which sign language is the primary language.
- Advance the awareness and respect for Deaf culture and people.
- Provide leadership opportunities for Deaf people to participate and or lead in the areas of pastoral care, worship and education.
- Work to increase awareness among all ministers in pastoral care such as chaplains, hospice workers, parish and hospital staff, and funeral directors about the needs of people who are Deaf.
- Provide Deaf members with access to retreats and spiritual enrichment sessions that are interpreted into sign language.
- Educate Deaf people about the services and opportunities they offer.
- Work together for stewardship to raise money for Deaf ministries, while recognizing the broader definition of stewardship, such as volunteer service of time.